How and why drink during a hike ?

Why is hydration important during a hike? How to drink during a hike? Which bottle to use to drink effectively?

Drinking well during your hike is paramount, whether it's a day hike or a multi-day trek to the other side of the world. Of course, the constraints will not be the same, but whatever the environment, we will have to pay attention to good water management.

In this article, we will see how to drink, when to drink and why it is important to drink throughout your hike.

Why is hydration important during a hike?

The symptoms of a lack of water are headaches or dizziness, which can quickly be very problematic during a hike. Especially if you're in the summer, in the mountains with a heavy backpack. We're moving slower, and if the dehydration is significant, we'll have to stop. I have run out of water twice and I try not to repeat this experience.

In Corsica on the gr20

The first time was in Corsica on the GR 20. The evening of the previous day, I had hardly drunk at the meal because we had bought wine (yes big mistake). And at breakfast, I also forgot to drink (fatigue...). That day, unfortunately, we had to make a step and a half and we did not pass to the intermediate refuge (because of too much below the path). And of course, there was no source on this step.

Soon I felt the effects of the lack of water but it was too late. I had to save the water to be sure that I had enough, but I had to drink and especially that I moved on... so I decided to take a sip every 10 minutes and keep the water in my mouth as long as possible. Since I had a pipette, I didn't have to stop to drink so it was easy. And I took a slower pace than the others to get to the pass. After 2 Good hours of walking, I was able to recover completely and continue the hike in good conditions. We won't see the interest of the water pocket with a pipette.

In the Pyrenees, on a day hike

The second time was in the Pyrenees. I was off on a simple hike to blue lake from the side Barèges. I thought I'd just go to the lake and come back by the same route. But when I got to the lake, I decided to go around it. Unfortunately, it was very hot, very beautiful and the tour around the Lake took a lot of time because I took a lot of pictures. So I used up all my water long before the end of the walk. Well, I can assure you that the last hour was very difficult. Not a drop of water, very hot. I was really tired. I even asked people if they could give me water but I ran into people who didn't have water at all. No luck. I finally got to the car where I had water in a bottle.

We don't realize the impact on physics of the lack of water until we've experienced it. One's mouth is pasty, one feels weak, one begins to have a headache (all the more so if the sun is shining)... And unfortunately, even if we start drinking at this point, recovery is not instantaneous and it takes a little time to recover.


You should drink regularly during a hike

You will, therefore, have to be careful to drink very regularly throughout your hike. Whether it lasts 2 hours or all day, don't wait until you're thirsty to hydrate. A sip or two every 10 or 15 minutes will be sufficient in most cases. You can drink more if you have provided enough water of course.

It has to become a reflex: before I start I drink a little, and then regularly I drink again. When you get used to it, you won't even need to look at your watch and it will happen naturally. If you have a pipette, you can even drink without stopping to walk which is very convenient, we'll talk about it later. So you won't have any excuse if you don't drink enough.

Do we need to purify the water or filter it?

Generally, on a day hike, water is taken from your home or refuge. There is, therefore, no special treatment to be expected. On the other hand, if you are hiking for several days without going through refuges it may be interesting to provide purifying lozenges and/or a filtration system. There are now gourds that incorporate a filter or even filter straws (but now you can't store water).


Provide enough water for the entire hike

In fact, the most difficult is going to be to predict how much water you will need to hold your entire hike. If it's a two-hour hike, it's easy. But for a full day of 8 or 10 hours, it's much more difficult.

All the more so because it will depend on the weather (we drink more in case of high heat), the altitude, the environment in which we live...

At the end of each hike, you have to practice and see how much water is left and when you have consumed your water (if you have followed our advice, you will have drunk regularly).

Are we drinking with a classic bottle or a water pouch?

First, you have to choose your bottle. Are you going with a classic bottleor a water pouch ?


Plastic bottle

You can use a classic plastic water bottle instead of the water bottle but it's always better to have a real water bottle that can be filtered.

Classic gourd

The classic bottle will be stronger and as you will stop to drink, you will be able to watch how much water remains in the bottle. You can store it in one of the side pockets of your backpack for easy access. It will not be necessary to open the bag.

Water pocket

The water pocket is an alternative that has grown a lot in recent years. It allows storing the water in a container that once empty will hang very little space. Two pockets can, therefore, be provided and the second filled only when a lot of water is needed.

They can also be equipped with a pipette that allows access to water without stopping. At first, it was meant for trail runners, but on a hike, it's really very practical too.

The disadvantage is that since one can drink without stopping, it is difficult to know how much water remains during the day. You should take advantage of the breaks to check the level of the pocket so that you do not fall into the water during the hike.

In winter, when it is very cold, the water can freeze in the pipe so some marks have provided a sleeve that protects the tube from the cold and prevents the water from freezing. That's a good idea.

There are several brands of water pockets that each have their own specificities. It is up to you to find what is right for you: simple or rigid pouch, a pipette with tap end... there is something for everyone at all costs. Be aware that some pockets can be opened over the entire width for easier cleaning.



Comments